This blog contains the random witterings of me... forgive me, I know not what I do..

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Which way would you go? And why?


On my commute yesterday, reluctantly, I had reason to take another trip through suburban leicester rather than my usual rural route, as the crow (or barn owl) flies.
You'll be aware of my previous reaction to the experience of this specific suburban cycling route.  However, having ridden this route again, I still have the same opinions...
But I was led to think....


In life generally, I guess it's my nature to generally take the easier more pleasurable option. Surely would it not be madness not to?

My usual choice, is relatively comfortable; I enjoy flowing familiarity with negligible hurdles and man-made encounters. It is raw, spatial and rich in the spirit of something 'natural' (?)... It's relatively smooth and takes me where I intend to go... skirting intriguing worlds and lives with little incident... yes, it does have has it's unforeseen encounters but it's a an enjoyable option.

An alternative choice is a way populated with life in abundance. Much of what you'll find is in either in need of care and attention, badly designed, or both. It's past is evident, daily life and common culture are stamped on walls and faces. You'll encounter raw humanity... 'warts and all', but also what you find is rich in living lives, both sweet and sour.

Do Robert Frost's thoughts apply? Challenge? Avoidance? Survival? Common Sense?


Which way would you go? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment