This blog contains the random witterings of me... forgive me, I know not what I do..

Thursday 8 December 2011

What if Immanuel? Ordinary people, ordinary place, extraordinary story

I've produced some artwork recently for a project portraying people from a local village in Leicestershire and relating them to characters in 'The Christmas Story'.
The local church identified 9 nativity characters and 9 corresponding pictures of people from contemporary village life. An interesting piece of creativity! 
It's to be on display in a shop window in Sibson Road in Birstall, for shoppers and passers by. Ordinary people, ordinary place, extraordinary story.
http://gallery.me.com/julesrichards#100291
It caused me to ponder various things... the obvious: 'what if a God was one of us?'
The seasonal: Immanuel, 'God is with us'?
"The Christmas Story" a curious story that I'm told differs in each gospel account and has had heaps tagged onto it over the years... to the point that I wonder if elves and reindeer were present in the stable? Oh and coke cola and red stuff.
God became man... ? We can wonder at the significance of the prophesied birth. Light and angelic hope...
I dunno...
The project above asks, if it happened today, "where would you (and I) be in it"?

Hummm... I can't imagine...

I'd like to think that I could sense the majesty and grace of such a prospective happening, but can't see myself as the chosen host, the visitors, the authorities or the worshippers... but I guess I am still one of the 'us'.

Immanuel, 'God is with us'?

Check it out anyway, it's produced by the Methodist Church in Birstall all credit to Rachel Parkinson and her team. It's on Sibson Road Birstall - from next week. 
Ordinary people, ordinary place, extraordinary story.
http://gallery.me.com/julesrichards#100291

No comments:

Post a Comment