This blog contains the random witterings of me... forgive me, I know not what I do..

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Don't listen to the words, listen to the...

Hummm... nowt sp’cific to say... however...

We’ve started back with Global Harmony this week, which will be my 4th year with them - time flies.
What I enjoy about GH is the 'expressive' experience - ‘meaning’ comes later. This idea sort of harmonises with my recent encounters with 'awareness' etc. Drop the baggage and dance dude!

I enjoy much of the eclectic offerings from BBC Radio 3’s ‘Late Junction’, I enjoy the ‘hopelandic’ non-language of Sigur Róss, and find some of Bugge Wesseltoft's musical language enchanting(?)...
I guess it's the sound/s, rhythms and unorthodox mixes and ideas/feelings that they evoke... yes, it's hard to drop cultural accretions but music or “new sounds” can be a start to ‘something new’.

The ‘world sounds’ that GH choir ‘play with’ are a breath of fresh-air in the polluted saturated world of signification that we encounter daily... the harmonies, resonances and layering that the MD introduces really do have something even though no meaning us readily clear to us. I find this is possibly more often encountered in rehearsals than in scheduled performance - pressure related i guess. Often the sounds are hypnotic and the parts really dance with each other.

I’ve always been interested in the idea of ‘free play’ as the creative tool and perhaps the choir, although structured, touches on this. We definitely experience ‘free’dom and also ‘play’(dom).

Bring it on?


No comments:

Post a Comment