This blog contains the random witterings of me... forgive me, I know not what I do..

Sunday 2 October 2011

Talking a bath!??


I recently asked, what is "this"... we have an urge to do “this”, to look further, to ask and to share, to grow to be thankful...
“This” is ultimately fulfilling, enriching and purging...
It’s not interested in assumptions and restrictions...
It can be vibrant and effervescent as well as reflective and contemplative...
It can focus goodness and growth and transform decay and death...
It’s more than that...
It’s fecundity, nurture, and cleansing
It’s for the multitude and the you...
What am I...?

And a friend answered... "a bath?" This made me smile 'cos to a certain extent it was a right answer. Humm....


The above was actually my initial response to the question in a contemporary context what is "worship"?

Do what?.. to celebrate... simulate... reflect a bigger picture, of the right-eous, the essence of life and growth... of a god?
With a post-evangelical, post-'churchless-faith' mindset, I'm afraid I find myself having to start with a blank page.
I have found past experiences of Christian subcultural behaviour to ultimately be disappointing, distracting and unhelpful.
I've entertained various approaches and seen vibrant and effervescent celebrations as well as reflective and contemplative encounters and will agree that goodness can be focused, shared and grown in many Christian meetings, however sometimes meetings can become self-fulfilling.
Clubs are all well and good but to me the idea of celebrating the essence of a God-centered truth should be more than a club activity.
I hoped real living life might lead to a truer worship than some labeled coded activities - but alas individualism is ultimately 'in vain'...

'In vain' we individually search for sense, reason, peace and 'more' - but often on our terms. I do wish to look further than myself but as you might expect it seems impossible for one to see beyond what one can see - especially when ones experience of others is disappointing, distracting and unhelpful.
But the interaction between things is what makes them fecund, or as someone else once put it 'where two or more a gathered, there will I be there also' - I agree we need to meet and share to feed the multitude... but I'm not sure we need to sing "shine Jesus shine"... ?

I'm going for a bath.

2 comments:

  1. :D thanks for this! I just escaped the lounge, despairing and angry at "Songs of Praise" asking where God was in it all and where the "vibrant and effervescent as well as reflective and contemplative" bit was. So I meandered over to your blog and was immersed in your hope and love for worship, the expectancy to engage and interact with an experience that heals and hones and perfects.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thoughts, I wish there was flesh on these bones. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete